There are many red-light therapy devices and tools being manufactured every day. You no longer have to go to the dermatologist’s office or spa to enjoy the red light therapy benefits because you can still enjoy them in the comfort of your home. Among these numerous tools and devices are red light therapy mats. According to Dr. Azza Halim, Physician, and board-certified anesthesiologist, red light therapy devices have gained popularity over the years through social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok. The mats are driven by LED lights, including red and near-infrared light to offer many rejuvenating benefits to the skin and body.
In an article published in the Forbes Health journal, Casey Kelley, M.D., medical director and founder of Case Integrative Health says that red light therapy exposes the body to the light of different wavelengths to allow cells to function at their optimum. She further explains that one can enjoy the benefits of red light therapy by using either handheld devices or full-body devices like red light therapy mats.
In this article, we have provided you with detailed information on the best red-light therapy mats available on the market today. We have covered some of the things to put into consideration when making your purchase and some crucial information on device safety. Join us as we uncover the amazing benefits of red light therapy mats.
What are Red-Light Therapy Mats?
Red light therapy mats are full-body red light therapy devices specifically designed for the treatment of various conditions in the body. Red light therapy mats combine the power of red and near-infrared light to help enhance wound healing, reduce inflammation, relieve joint and muscle pains, improve skin firmness and elasticity, boost collagen production, improve blood circulation, and improve acne. Additionally, these full-body devices may also promote healthy weight loss.
In a study published in the Frontiers in Sports and Active Living Journal, researchers Jamie Ghigiarelli, and Andars Fulop et al., concluded that body Photobiomodulation treatments help cover a wider area and help reduce inflammation, alleviate pain, and promote tissue regeneration. Red light therapy mats use therapeutic light energy of different wavelengths to aid in muscular conditions such as tendonitis and improve tissue scarring.
If you have skin conditions, are recovering from injuries, looking for an anti-aging solution, or experiencing body pains, red light therapy mats are for you. Thanks to the researchers and experts who have worked tirelessly to develop some new treatment devices that one can use in the comfort of their home. Dr. Erum Ilyas, a board-certified dermatologist in Pennsylvania agrees that red light therapy is a more advanced form of treatment compared to the traditional methods, which could cause traumas and skin conditions.
Red light therapy mats are portable, making them some of the most impactful products on the market today. People can enjoy the benefits of these mats without inconveniences and the need to worry about space. Additionally, red light therapy mats are a painless and non-invasive form of treatment. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology supports that light-emitting diodes are a safe form of skin treatment because they utilize light of different wavelengths to treat different conditions.
The Best Red Light Therapy Mats of 2023
- Best for Improving the Overall WellnessHooga Grounding MatGo to Review
- At Official Website
- Best for Reducing the Mental StressBestqool Red Light Therapy MatGo to Review
- At Official Website
- Best for Getting Rid of the Muscle PainNushape Red Right Therapy MatGo to Review
- At Official Website
- Best for to Improve Muscle RecoveryHigherDose Infrared PEMF MatGo to Review
- At Official Website
- Best for Making Your Body Feel RelaxedPrism Full Body MatGo to Review
- At Official Website
How We Picked
On this site you’ll learn everything you ever wanted to know about red light therapy and how it can enrich your health, wellbeing, and quality of life.
We selected all our red light therapy mats from reputable and trusted manufacturers. When you buy your red light therapy mat, be keen to check on the brand, since good brands manufacture high-quality products. This gives you the confidence to use the product.
Ease of Use
While it is important to consider the effectiveness of a product, ease of use is also a major factor to put into consideration. In the products we picked for you, we chose products that were easy to operate and still allowed you to enjoy their maximum benefits. Always check the manufacturer’s manual if you are unsure about how to operate a device to avoid damaging it, underusing it, or overusing it.
professionals and experts in the field of light therapy have approved all our red light therapy mats. We are keen to provide our customers with the best products that have gone through approvals.
Our Top Picks for the Best Red Light Therapy Mats
Using the mat is simple. Just unroll it, attach the grounding cord to the mat, and plug the cord into a grounded wall outlet. This allows the slight negative electrical charge from the Earth’s ground system to flow through the cord and onto the conductive carbon surface of the mat. By doing this, you can experience the benefits of grounding even when you’re indoors.
Pros & Cons
- The commitment to quality is evident in the 3-year warranty that comes with your purchase.
- It contributes to your well-being, making it a smart choice for those looking to improve your life.
- It offers risk-free for 60 days with our money-back guarantee
- The product is supported by a substantial 3-year warranty, ensuring satisfaction for an extended time.
- The grounding cord may be too long for some users
More to Know
Chris F. verified buyer, says,
Love this grounding mat. Noticing subtle positive differences in my life. My only suggestion to Hooga is to shorten the cord or offer an option to, as it’s pretty long (which I know could be useful to some). Best
This interaction can lead to several benefits, including a reduction in pain, relief from inflammation, and the relaxation of tense muscles. It’s not just about physical relief, though; PEMF therapy can also help you sleep better, increase your energy levels, and contribute to your overall health and well-being. The second aspect of the Hooga PEMF Infrared Mat is its use of far-infrared rays for heat therapy. Far-infrared rays have the unique ability to penetrate deep into your body’s tissues. This deep penetration can have several positive effects.
Pros & Cons
- The Hooga PEMF Infrared Mat is known for helping you feel more relaxed and reducing stress.
- This mat is designed to be comfortable, almost like a plush cushion.
- The mat is a safe and effective way to improve your health and overall well-being.
- It can help your body better defend itself against illnesses, which is essential for staying healthy.
- If you’re not happy with the mat within the first two months of using it, you can get your money back.
- The mat comes with a warranty that lasts for three years.
- While many people report positive experiences with the Hooga PEMF Infrared Mat, individual results may vary.
- The mat’s heat, vibrations, and materials may be uncomfortable for some users.
More to Know
Kell verified reviewer, says,
My friend has a HigherDose mat which is an expensive, popular PEMF mat…we compared the two and my Hooga mat is every bit as nice as the HigherDose mat…it even has more frequencies and in my opinion is a lot easier to use. I love my PEMF mat….I feel so calm and relaxed about it. I typically use it for relaxing, meditating, and winding Read more about the review stating Incredibly relaxing and therapeutic!! down but I know some frequencies can energize you a little bit too. I am so happy I went with the Hooga PEMF mat…I saved myself about $600 and this thing is just such a joy to have. I already own a couple of grounding products from Hooga and multiple red light therapy panels, so this was an easy decision for me. Hooga is amazing!!!
In simple terms, using the right amount of light can help keep you healthy and treat specific issues, and Bestqool therapy devices are designed to make this process easier and more effective. For general health, try to use the light for 20 minutes a day, at least 4 days a week. If you’re using it for treatment, go for 30 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week. Make sure to position the light on the part of your body or skin that you want to treat.
Pros & Cons
- It may lead to an increase in testosterone that improves muscle growth and overall well-being.
- This product can also help boost your energy levels and strengthen your immune system.
- It has a one-year warranty, so if there are any manufacturing or quality problems within that time, they’ll replace it.
- If you’re not satisfied with the product within the first 30 days of using it, you can get your money back.
- While many people report positive experiences after using this product, individual results may vary.
More to Know
Jill a verified user, says,
It’s been three days and I have already lost 3 pounds and a few inches on my waist, I feel better. I am also eating healthier and working out. In combination with the belt.
It stimulates energy production in bone cells and enhances blood vessel formation, circulation, and blood flow to the affected area. This therapy mat is designed for easy storage and portability, and you can even roll it onto your bed for a super relaxing experience. It helps your cells rejuvenate, improves blood circulation, and can give you a healthier complexion. It’s almost like getting a healing touch that speeds up the healing of scars, wounds, and nerve damage.
Pros & Cons
- It boosts your immune system and cognitive function, promoting overall well-being and hormonal balance.
- This Therapy Mat is easy to store and move around, so you don’t need bulky medical equipment.
- It is designed to be suitable for a wide range of people, regardless of their body size or shape.
- Get your product quickly, with a short waiting time for delivery.
- If light sensitivity occurs, begin with shorter sessions and then extend the time.
- Red light therapy’s effectiveness varies between individuals, so results may differ.
More to Know
Erica a verified user, explains,
It was an investment, but I’m thrilled with my Nushape Red Right Therapy Mat. It took a little time to arrive, much longer than the ready-to-ship/fast delivery status implied(I ordered it on January 24, 2023, and it arrived on May 6, 2023), but Nushape sent me a cleaning kit as an apology. I’m mostly using the mat for overall body skin firmness and aiding weight loss, so I have a session in the morning before exercise. It is very relaxing. I also use the 10Hz mode for muscle recovery after a really hard workout and my muscles are sore.
It is easy to use, quick to clean, and super easy to store as it’s the size of a typical yoga mat and takes up very little space. Overall I’m super happy with my purchase!
This mat can alleviate chronic pain, aid post-workout recovery, enhance meditation and offer overall relaxation. The setup and cleaning are hassle-free. Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) therapy emits electromagnetic waves that mimic natural frequencies, encouraging your body’s recovery. It becomes even more powerful when paired with Infrared’s heat and healing crystals inside the mat, producing negative ions.
Pros & Cons
- The Infrared PEMF Mat brings together two strong healing methods, PEMF, and far-infrared heat, that lead to fast recovery.
- If you’re not satisfied with our product, you can get your money back within 30 days.
- The device is backed by a one-year warranty, showing confidence in its durability and performance.
- They offer the convenience of free shipping when you make the purchase.
- While many people report positive experiences with red light therapy, individual results may vary.
More to Know
Barbara Lanz a verified user, explains,
I got this for the healing properties for myself and my chronic Epstein Barr. Still, my boyfriend started using it, and he has found amazing results for his Ankylosing Spondylitis with much less pain and stiffness than he has had in many years. He is off of that strong prescription medicine that wiped out his energy and can work most days now.
Although it is one of the largest pads on the market, it remains lightweight and portable as it can be rolled up for easy storage or travel. Results may vary between people depending on their conditions and needs. Most people should feel rejuvenated after just one 30-minute session. However, chronic pain conditions or neuropathy may require multiple sessions over time to get optimal outcomes. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle while using red light therapy 3-5 times per week can lead to long-lasting benefits.
Pros & Cons
- This is the only red light pad that you can lay on or cover yourself with while on a massage table or in bed.
- There’s a 1-year limited warranty, so you’re covered in case of any issues.
- You can take it on an airplane and store it in the overhead compartment, making it very convenient for travel.
- If you’re not satisfied, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try it risk-free.
- Aligning and securing two pads for full coverage may require more time and effort than a single pad system.
- Regular cleaning and disinfecting adds to the long-term costs of ownership in terms of supplies.
More to Know
How Do Red-Light Therapy Mats Work?
Red light therapy mats offer full-body treatment devices that allow you to reap the incredible benefits of Photobiomodulation.
As explained in our content for Best Cold Laser Therapy Devices, Photobiomodulation, cold laser therapy, or low-level light therapy is a form of light treatment, which uses light-emitting diodes of low intensity to stimulate cellular processes. Red light therapy mats apply light of specific wavelengths body to target certain conditions.
Many red-light therapy mats combine both red and near-infrared light to allow you to enjoy a wider range of therapeutic benefits.
According to the Photomedicine and Laser Surgery journal by Alexander Wunsch, red light therapy uses light of wavelength 630-660 nm to penetrate the skin and enhance mitochondrion functions. Red light therapy works to reduce pain and inflammation, improve skin health, boost collagen production, enhance wound healing, and improve signs of aging.
Near-infrared light therapy uses light of longer wavelengths between 800-830nm to deeply penetrate the skin into the tissues to offer its therapeutic benefits. A publication in the Journal of Frontiers in Pharmacology supports that treatment with near-infrared light may improve certain neurodegenerative conditions because it deeply penetrates into the tissues. Near-infrared light helps improve joint pains, enhance muscle recovery, and improve blood circulation.
What Specific Benefits Do Red-Light Therapy Mats Offer?
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles Scientific research has proven that red light therapy devices may help smoothen wrinkles and fine lines. According to the official publication of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, low-level light therapy may help improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- Relieves pain and inflammation Red light therapy mats are a safe and effective treatment for joint and body pains and inflammation. People with chronic illnesses like arthritis can try this treatment method. A publication in the Journal of Neuroinflammation by Shuyu Zhu supports that Photobiomodulation reduces pain and inflammation and improves motor skills.
- Enhances wound recovery Research evidence supports that using cold laser therapy devices may help speed up the recovery time and healing of wounds. According to the Photo-dermatology, photo-immunology, and Photomedicine Journal, red and near-infrared light may help promote wound healing and restore the body to normal functions.
- Promotes cell regeneration There is increasing evidence that supports that shorter wavelengths of light energy may penetrate the tissues to promote cell regeneration. According to the Cureus Journal by Vijay Durga, low-level laser therapy stimulates cellular functions and promotes the repair and regeneration of cells.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Red-Light Therapy Mats Work?
A: Definitely red-light therapy mats do work to support many cellular functions in the body. Most celebrities and dermatologists support that red light therapy has worked to relieve pain and inflammation, reduce facial wrinkles, enhance wound healing, and improve overall health.
Red Light Therapy Mats Vs Panels – Which to go with?
A: Red light therapy panels and red-light therapy mats are devices that work on the full body devices that may be used in the comfort of your home. However, red light therapy panels are more powerful compared to mats and thus may require shorter treatment time. red light therapy mats are best for people who want a spa experience at home and want to lie down during treatment. The mats also allow you to have skin contact without any side effects.
How Frequent Should You Use a Red-Light Therapy Mats?
A: The usage frequency of a red light therapy mat may depend on whatever condition you are treating. Most doctors recommend 10-50 minutes of treatment time for every session. You may do this daily or every other day until you feel better.
Is it Safe to Use a Red-Light Therapy Mat at Home?
A: Yes, red light therapy mats are safe to use at home. Most manufacturers are out to develop portable devices so as to bring the spa experience into people’s homes. You no longer have to visit the spa or the doctor’s office for treatment, but can do it safely at home.
Do Red-Light Therapy Mats Cause Side Effects?
A: Red light therapy mats are considered a safe, painless, and non-invasive treatment method compared to other treatment methods. Most people do not experience any side effects when using red light therapy devices. However, some people may experience minor headaches and irritability but they do not last long.
Why Do I Need Pulsing Light?
A: Pulsing red light therapy mats turn on and off at specific intervals. This type of light therapy may be helpful for people with certain pains, which last longer than usual. It makes the pain sensors less sensitive over time.
Infrared vs. red Light Mats – Any Difference?
A: Most red light therapy mats combine the light energy of red and infrared light for maximum benefits. Red light has a shorter wavelength of 600-630nm to penetrate the skin, while infrared light has a longer wavelength of 800-850nm, which deeply penetrates into the tissues to deal with chronic pains and inflammation.
How Long Should You Wait for the Results?
A: Results may vary depending on the frequency of the treatment and the condition you are treating. Most experts recommend using light therapy for 7-12 weeks consistently for long-term and visible results.
The use of full-body red light therapy devices has spiked over the years because people want to enjoy spa experiences in the comfort of their homes.
Red light therapy mats are painless, noninvasive, and effective treatment devices that work to relieve pain and inflammation, enhance wound healing, promote cell regeneration, and improve overall health.
The mat also smoothens wrinkles, improves skin elasticity, and fights signs of aging. Get yourself a red light therapy mat of your choice and enjoy its therapeutic benefits.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficacy.
*Result may vary. The information contained in this website is provided for general informational purposes only. No medical claims are implied in this content, and the information herein is not intended be used for self diagnosis or self treatment of any condition.
Disclosure of Material connection: Some of the links in the post above are "associate sales links." This means if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive commission. Regardless, we only recommend products or services which we use personally and/or believe will add value to our readers. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials."